Wednesday 3 February 2016

Creating an Organized Life

I am a disorganized person. My house is not organized; our schedule is almost non-existent. Our commitments and necessary activities have increased, creating more chaos. This year, and for several years I have been working towards becoming organized for our family's sake.

As someone who has struggled with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, social anxiety and depression, the struggle is significant. I have the tendency to give up easily because nothing will ever be perfect. Having kids, this tendency got worse: toddlers are well-known for their ability to undo everything that their parents have just done.

However, with a small business, a husband who works full time, two kids and a house that is frequently filled with guests, it is time. Time to let God's grace change my tendencies, my inability. It is doing just that. As a couple, my husband and I are figuring out what a baseline level of organization in our house looks like. My heart is no longer racing when I think of all that needs doing, and I am able to prioritize that certain rooms will be easier to get done first, and then we can move on to the more difficult ones.

Once we have a baseline for what rooms should look like it will be much easier to return them to that state. From there, we can create systems including a weekly cleaning schedule that makes sense for our family. Our kids can be involved in the process, and learn what a functional space is.

My heart is changing and our family is growing through grace. I think that is the most important aspect of getting organized: centering life around the amazing gift of grace God has given us.


No comments:

Post a Comment